POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers : Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers
From: Peter Popov
Date: 4 Jun 1999 23:59:41
Message: <375a9e93.26520084@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 00:09:52 +0300, "Margus Ramst" <mar### [at] peakeduee>
wrote:

<snip>

>Thet might do the trick on more-or-less planar surfaces. But when the
>surface has steep curvature, I imagine you would see a strange pattern since
>the amount of twirl is different at different heights. Hmm... The spiral
>would start curving back towards the original position as the twirl falls
>off... I think.

OK, I will try to cook up an example using the GIMP to animate a twirl
effect and I'll make a .df3 out of it. We'll see what happens. I'd
attack the POV code since this patch doesn't seem that hard, but the
semester just ended and exams are on their way now, so...

>>Maybe. If the plane of twirling is the plane through the center of the
>>twirl and perpendicular to the plane defined by the current camera ray
>>and twirl center.
>>

>Reread the sentence and say it isn't confusing :) I believe I'm rephrasing
>what you said, but here's how I imagine it. The twirl plane would be defined
>by 3 points: camera location, warp center and current intersection point.
>Twirl axis - the normal vector of this plane.

No, the _plane_ of twirling is perpendicular to this 3-points-defined
plane, not the _normal vector_ of the twirl.

>The question is, how would this behave in an animation?

Dunno. It will mostly trry to face the camera, methinks. Will look a
little as if the image has been post-processed.

>Margus

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700